'/> Uncommon Hours: Where is that?
Blogging on culture, politics, and the environment since 2008.

Saturday, December 6, 2008

Where is that?

I've been asked about the photo at the top of this web page.

I snapped it while hiking in Rocky Mountain National Park. The specific location is the Onahu Creek Trail on the western side of the park. I was on a solo back country hike, and this was a meadow (and one of the few level sections) along the trail at about 9,000’.

I camped at about 9,650'. During the night a bear thrashed around down by the creek just through the stand of trees behind the tent in the photo on the right. (I knew it was a bear because I’d seen his tracks at the creekside earlier, and again in the morning--and because nothing else acts like that.) Needless to say, I didn’t sleep much that night.

Trips like this one provided some great background material for various scenes in Where the Wind Blew.